Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Addressing Depression And Anxiety 3-13-13

Not even really sure where to begin, so I guess I will just start.

For quite some time now, I have been dealing with depression, anxiety and social phobia. My daughter suggested maybe I should blog about my feelings and experiences as it might help me and help others going through some of the same things.

I don’t usually broadcast to others about my depression, etc., because I have found that if someone hasn’t experienced it themselves, they really don’t understand. Heck, I don’t totally understand. My doctor, family and good friends know about my problems, but that’s about as far as it goes until now.

At the end of December, I FINALLY admitted to myself that I needed help. That in itself is a HUGE step when you are dealing with depression, anxiety and/or any kind of social phobia.

You are NOT crazy. You DO need help. These medical issues are not just something that you can “get over it”. It just doesn’t work that way. All of these are contributed to by neuro transmitters in your brain, at least that is what I am learning from talking with my doctor and research I have done.

Depression and such issues sneak up on you. I used to be a very social person who enjoyed going places and doing things. Over a long period of time I have progressively gotten to the point where not much of anything has any interest for me. I don’t have much motivation or energy to do anything either. I seldom leave my home. I HATE BEING THIS WAY!!

In December I started on Xanax for my anxiety. That has helped a LOT, with the anxiety. My doctor also started me on Paxil, which addresses the serotonin in your brain. At first it seemed like the Paxil was helping, but that only lasted for a week or two. Evidently, that isn’t my problem. So we are switching me to a new med starting on Friday. You have to wean down on the dose of the Paxil before switching or you can get some pretty nasty side effects.

I will stop for tonight and post more tomorrow. Otherwise this post will be way to long for anyone to want to read it. I will address some of the issues that I have been having, side effects from the drugs and other things as I go along. Thank you for listening.

2 comments:

  1. You're not alone. I'm sending you hugs and positive, happy thoughts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definitely not alone! I'm so glad you have sought help and are hopefully starting to feel better. It does take time to find the right medication that works for you. Hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete