Thursday, August 26, 2010

GTA Donations August 2010

August is the month that we do our sweater drive for GTA. I didn't get as many sweaters done as I would have liked due to the carpal tunnel, but every sweater helps. Plus, I don't crochet as fast as some of our other members do :) I swear, some of you must crochet in your sleep!!Anyhow, I also got a wild hair and decided that making some baby quilts would be fun too. We ALWAYS need blankets for the babies.
I'm going to show you my two quilts first, then on to the sweaters.

 This first quilt was started a long long time ago and got put away as an UFO (unfinished object). I originally had grand delusions of making a quilt for a full sized bed out of this. Uh huh. I rediscovered it a short while ago and thought I really should do something with it. Each square is fairly small, a better size for babies. After measuring it, I decided it was big enough for a baby quilt so there ya go! I had started this by digging through all my scrap fabric and used all kinds of colors, which I think made it pretty unique. Backed it with a pretty medium blue solid so it should make a nice quilt for a boy. 


This next quilt is a bunch of cute moose sleeping and being lazy. Something bright and different! I found the material at a garage sale for next to nothing. I'm thinking I paid a whole dollar for it. And I had the backing material in my stash.






Here is a close up of the mooses.














I just want to say that you know, you don't have to have a lot of money in order to be able to "pay it forward" and help out others less fortunate than yourself. My husband and I live on a fixed income of his pension, and if I can afford to help others, believe me, so can you! I get a lot of my yarn and fabric at Goodwill and DAV thrift stores and at garage sales. Plus, it doesn't hurt that I have my kids trained to give mom yarn, fabric, and craft store gift cards for my birthday, Mother's Day, Christmas, etc. :) Besides, I think that in their own way, they feel good helping mom cause in their indirect way, they are helping the babies too!
Ok, off of my soapbox now, and on to the sweaters!
We don't get as many sweaters for boys so I kind of decided to concentrate on them this time.
This one is made out of Lion brand Pound of Love.






This is a nubby tweed type of yarn. Don't remember which brand.









I'm thinking the body of this is Red Heart Super Saver with the arms made from Pound of Love. I didn't have enough of the brighter blue so just finished it off with a darker blue. I think it turned out pretty cute.






This one is for all of you Iowa Hawkeye fans out there! Baby sweaters can be something besides pastels all the time you know.
I remember that I got both of these yarns at DAV for something like $1.25 for both of them. Great deal!








Pastels are nice too, I just like doing brights most of the time. This is one of my exceptions. I didn't have a full skein of the multicolored pastel, so I just finished off the bottom with Blue Pound of Love and some white to finish the sleeves.The multicolored yarn was another Goodwill find.



This denim blue yarn was a Goodwill find. 









Isn't this a pretty darker mint green? I have my husband trained too, lol. He found a box of yarn with 8 skeins of yarn in it at Goodwill for $4.38 and bought it for me. This was in that box of yarn.






This is just a pretty multicolored yarn that reminds me of autumn colors.










Another of one of those partial skein sweaters. I had JUST enough for the body and finished it off with bright yellow sleeves and buttons to tie it all together.






This pretty pastel multicolor was in the Goodwill box of yarn.









Another partial skein sweater. I finished it up with Caron One Pound peach yarn for the sleeves, bottom, and edging. I really like the way this one turned out.












This was a bright reddish orange yarn I found at DAV for 75 cents!


I must have been on a partial skein roll this time :) The nubby turquoise and white came from a Goodwill find and I finished it off with Lion brand white Pound of Love.






Last but not least is my super bright yellow made from Red Heart yarn.










That's it for this time around. There are other quilts and sweaters in the making at this time, but that's for the next round of donations.
The next quest for me is the Christmas drive.




No comments:

Post a Comment